Copeland Park Community Alliance

Help support our activities and entitle a household representative to vote at the CPCA Annual General Meeting.

Membership

Help support our activities and entitle a household representative to vote at the CPCA Annual General Meeting.

News & Events

Learn about the news and events that are happening in and around Copeland Park and Ottawa!

AGM

Read the archived minutes from the CPCA Annual General Meeting and the Board Meetings

News & Events

Executive Meeting April 2016

Aug 24, 2016

(Released for posting but not approved by board due to lack of quorum at August 14, 2016 meeting)

Location: 1465 Baseline Road, Suite 603
Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2016
Time: 7:30PM
Minutes
In Attendance: Marjorie Shaver-Jones, Bert Rupert, Jamie Mason, Catherine Fortune, Jenn Bougie,
Dave Madden, Steve Wilson
Regrets: Mike Sims, Dave Hunter
Absent: Brad White, Rob Edwards

1) Call to order at approximately 7:40PM.

2) Jamie moved to approve January 27 board meeting minutes, seconded by Bert & carried.

3) Marjorie proposed adding more general reference information to CPCA web site. Jenn offered to contribute and to contact Dave Hunter re web site tool.

4) Marjorie tried to contact City View Community Association regarding common interests. No success as of yet but will continue to try.

5) Discussion on adding a ‘field house’ to Copeland Park. Suggested sites may not be suitable. Considered portable type structure. Likely equally unsuitable due to lack of water service in that type of building. Jenn offered to contact Don Mason, City Capital Projects adviser to investigate possible suggestions on this situation.

6) CPCA question regarding ‘Association’ vs ‘Alliance’ was reviewed by Marjorie with Hy Carswell (past CPCA president). Conclusion is that ‘Alliance’ is correct term.

7) Report from Jamie on rink usage etc. – Very favourable feedback. An estimate of 30+ children using the park most days plus some adults with and without children on the ice.

  • BBQ day went very well – well attended.
  • Fund raiser for neighbourhood autistic child. Family dealing with $6k/month cost.
  • Disco on Ice event raised $1,400.00 .
  • CPCA received a great letter from Brenda & David (Cameo Drive residents) complementing Rink Team for their great efforts. Wonderful seeing the activity in the park all winter.
  • Jamie to provide photos of rink activities for posting on CPCA web site.
  • Jenn to put word in with Jennifer Steers at City (rink hut contact).
  • Jamie is to prepare a report for the City. Trying to maintain rink as ‘puddle’ rink (avoid boards). Will push for $2K funding (good for snow blower).

8) Greenlawn Park – Marjorie & Dave reported on status of tennis court resurfacing – contractor needs minimum of 6 days above 15c. Translates into a mid June date for this work to be done.
Questions:

  • life of new surface? Warranty?
  • Accessibility of court – opening size, should opening be gated?
  • Could back board for single play be added?
  • Would ball hockey damage new court surface? 1/3

9) Company of Fools informed CPCA that they will not be performing in Greenlawn Park this year. Greenlawn is one of the smaller venues and generates less revenue. They will return in alternate years. Company of Fools admin contact is Gertrude.
We discussed the possibility of using Copeland Park as an alternate site as it has a natural amphitheatre.
Jamie volunteered to investigate other theatre in the park options.

10) Maitland Avenue Traffic issue (strategy) – Traffic consultant Ted Faubert, directed Bert to traffic engineer. Suggested that City uses same software data thus will yield similar results to private study. Suggested conclusion is that investing in private study would likely be a waste of money.

11) Traffic control – Marjorie contacted Nancy Cairns with the City to request 30 ‘Children at Play’ signs but only 3 were available.
Discussions on speeding and lack of stopping at various intersections. Of particular concern is the stop on Castlehill at Greyrock. The suggestion of a mini-roundabout was tabled.
Rick Chiarelli to be approached on the subject.
Dave Madden to spearhead project. Contact neighbours in immediate area (Kevin Collins & Kass). Take photos of subject intersection and to list other traffic control options like speed bumps.
Proposal to be reviewed by board before submitting to Councillor Chiarelli. Goal is to have proposal completed by end May.

12) Marjorie to provide Catherine with copy of CPCA Bylaws.

13) Review of last year’s BBQ-Yard Sale-Auction event (Saturday, June 6, 2015).
Should we have a community wide and/or in park sale/auction like last year? Decided to go with a community wide garage sale event. Date: June 18 with 19 as rain date. Dave Madden to investigate date of Glebe Community garage sale. NOTE: Since our exec meeting Glebe sale was determined to be on June 18 so we have moved ours to June 11.
Flyers to be designed and circulated throughout CPCA area on or about 1 month prior to event date. Dave & Steve to arrange distribution. Dave’s wife, Christina, to assist with flyer design and Dave’s children to assist with distribution. Distribution to be shared with McPherson team.
Decision made to have banner(s) made to promote yard sale. Marjorie to contact Dave Hunter to arrange banner printing etc.

14) Marjorie reported on a western CPCA community’s effort to replace the Agincourt Park play structure. The project is spearheaded by Agincourt school parents group. Estimated minimum cost is $70,000.00. The parents group applied to the City for $7,500.00 grant. Marjorie prepared letter of endorsement from CPCA and also suggested that the CPCA make a donation. $1,500.00 – tabled, moved by Bert, seconded by Catherine, approved by all.

15) Carlington Mountain Bike Park proposal – CPCA received no communication from Carlington area community association on this proposal. Councillor Chiarelli contacted by Marjorie about possibility of City’s concerns regarding noise, parking, access restrictions. Nothing reported.
Marjorie to send letter to Carlington Community Association voicing regarding our concerns with respect to noise, parking, etc. And our disappointment with their lack of communication with the CPCA. This letter to be circulated to board members before being sent Carlington CA & City Councillors. 2/3
16) Victoria Labar notification of ‘Simply Try It’ aqua fit to be posted on CPCA web site.

17) Marjorie announced that Nancy Cairns will be going on maternity leave as of June 23.

18) Catherine bought up the subject of the child ID program (CHIP) and the Neighbourhood Watch. Status of both in question. Marjorie to contact Agincourt School vice principal regarding a possible partnership.

19) Jamie enquired as to the process involved in hosting an overnight camping event in Greenlawn Park. Target date is July 1st. Suggested he may need to book with the City. Jamie to make necessary enquiries.

20) Jamie suggested building garden boxes for Greenlawn Park that could be rented out to interested neighbours for planting flowers or vegetables. Fee of $100.00 for season suggested.

21) Jenn reported that a dog run in Ainsley Park has been proposed. Actual status unknown.

– Meeting adjourned at 9:55PM – moved by Jamie, seconded by Jenn .

Read More

Ottawa Police Annual Report for 2015

Jun 23, 2016

The Ottawa Police Annual report for 2015 has just been released. If you would like to see how your ward has fared please click http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/crime/Crime-Stats.asp
When the councilors information pops up click on “ward profile” for the ward specific stats.

The Ward 8 Crime Statistics and Trends document is available in PDF.

Cst Sue Wright
Greenbank CPC
613-236-1222 ext 2179

Read the Ottawa Police 2015 Annual Report

Read More

Marjorie Shaver-Jones receives Ontario Senior of the Year Award

Jun 9, 2016

The Ontario Senior of the Year Award gives each municipality in Ontario the opportunity to honour one outstanding local Ontarian who after the age of 65 has enriched the social, cultural or civic life of his or her community.

Please joins us in congratulating our very own Marjorie Shaver-Jones on receiving the award!

Full details can be read at ottawa.ca

marjorie1

marjorie2

marjorie3

Read More

Executive Meeting Minutes

May 4, 2016

Executive Meeting
Location: 1465 Baseline Road, Suite 603
Date: Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Time: 7:15PM
Minutes
In Attendance: Marjorie Shaver-Jones, Mike Sims, Bert Rupert, Brad White, Jamie Mason, Steve Wilson
Regrets: Dave Madden, Rob Edwards, Catherine Fortune, Dave Hunter
Absent: Steve Livingstone, Jennifer Bougie

1) Call to order at approximately 7:15PM.

2) Bert moved to approve October 7th board meeting minutes, seconded by Mike & carried.

3/4) Rink update from Jamie: There are now 12 ‘solid’ volunteers assisting with rink maintenance. Watering of rink routinely happens about 3 times per week resulting in a great ice surface. Jamie requested money for pizza and beverages for volunteers – approved. Question of hockey came up – some hockey being played but judged as very low key and there have been no complaints received. Community Fun Day scheduled for Saturday February 6. BBQ provided by Councillor Chiarelli. Application for bon fire permit submitted to City Fire Prevention Unit ($50.00). Donations of fire wood needed for bon fire. Steve W’ offered to provide his surplus hardwood. Delivery scheduled for evening of Friday, February 5. Various games to be provided by City including a speed gun. Jamie to provide info on Fun Day event to Dave Hunter for posting on the CPCA web site and for email blast to membership.

Additional money needed to support rink operation. Bert moved to advance Jamie $500.00, Mike seconded.

5) Maitland Avenue Update (Bert): Requested meeting with Fotenn Planning & Design regarding Maitland Avenue (Glendale/Erindale intersection) traffic study. Fotenn may be contracted to conduct study to challenge City’s position on suggested change to traffic light sequence. Copy of Bert’s fax to Fotenn attached to minutes.

7) Membership (Mike): Thanks to Mike for sending out Holiday wishes to membership and also for
condolences note regarding the passing of John Atkinson, Castlehill resident (died while cross
country skiing in Gatineau Park).

6) Web Site Update (Dave H.): As noted above, Dave not in attendence. Marjorie suggested that Catherine might be a good candidate to help enhance CPCA web site with more community information (lists), ie. Churches, schools, clinics, services, etc.. Consultation with Jenn Bougie suggested. Marjorie to contact Catherine & Jenn.

8) Merivale Planning Committee Update (Marjorie): Marjorie reported attending a City planning session. Included zoning discussions and education sessions.

Issue of the ‘now under construction’ new Modevi facility was addressed. This facility is directly behind the now defunct Target store on Merivale Road. The City made an effort to have Modevi build on Merivale nearer the street but Modevi wanted a Meadowlands address and City Planning OK’d the application/permit.

Marjorie had a conversation with both City View and Bel-Air Community Association reps and suggested getting together to discuss common interests such as Baseline Road issues, CHIP program etc.

9) Canada 150 (2017): Marjorie reported that 2 possible government funding sources are available in support of Canada’s 150 Birthday celebration – City & Federal Governments. They are looking for suggestions. Are we interested, do we have any ideas? The suggestion of a commemorative field house came up. Copeland Park thought to be the best location. Upper level, opposite Maitland Avenue. Adaquate space for both building and parking. Steve to investigate options and examples of existing buildings such as in Trend Village and Fisher Heights. Steve to contact Jenn Bougie for further thoughts since she tabled the idea at a previous meeting. Bert to look into City’s position on the idea.

10) New & Other Business: From previous minutes – Jamie assigned duty/title of Rink Co-ordinator. Jamie suggested contacting local radio station for their movies in the park program. Copeland Park ideal location for such an event due to natural burmed amphi-theater.

BelAir Community Association quite interested in participating in child ID program (CHIP).

Question of what qualified as a quorum raised at previous meeting. Board has 11 members thus 6 would be needed in attendance for a quorum.

Question as to CPCA being an Association or an Alliance still being looked into by Marjorie.

– Meeting adjourned at 8:30PM

Read More

Ottawa Police By-Law Changes

May 4, 2016

Effective May 1, 2016, the Ottawa Police Service will respond to by-law calls only when there is a known risk of serious bodily harm or death, when there are indicators of danger for serious bodily harm to a person(s) or when By-Law Services are on scene and require police assistance.

OPS will cease responding to by-law calls that do not have a public safety aspect such as stated above.
All calls for service pertaining to by-law infractions, which are not determined to have a serious public safety component, shall be referred to the City of Ottawa By-Law Services.

Cst Sue Wright
Greenbank CPC
613-236-1222 ext 2179
twitter: @Greenbankcpc

Read More

Carlington Hill Development

Apr 12, 2016

Survey & Proposal for Mountain Bike area on the Carlington Sledding Hill

The OMBA (Ottawa Mountain Bike Association) recently made a presentation which you can see below, to the Carlington Community Association regarding the use of the Carlington sledding hill for a mountain bike area:
http://ottawamba.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Carlington-Bike-Park-Presentation.pdf

Phase one would be a skills area and a pump track on top of the sledding hill … and later on in phase 3 and 4 some dirt jumps and a single track trail … in the woods going uphill and then coming back down on the side of the sled hill.

The carling community association has put up a survey on their site to get feedback from our community. Survey: Survey ends April 29th , so please respond quickly!

Read More

Ready to find out more? Get started today!

Terrae recepta fratrum passim fabricator videre nam deducite.