Copeland Park Community Alliance

Help support our activities and entitle a household representative to vote at the CPCA Annual General Meeting.

Membership

Help support our activities and entitle a household representative to vote at the CPCA Annual General Meeting.

News & Events

Learn about the news and events that are happening in and around Copeland Park and Ottawa!

AGM

Read the archived minutes from the CPCA Annual General Meeting and the Board Meetings

News & Events

Annual General Meeting 2015

Nov 25, 2015

Wednesday, September 16, 2015
St Basil’s Roman Catholic Church
940 Rex Avenue

Download the PDF Document

Call To Order: 7:00 PM

Approval of Agenda
Approved, by consensus

Approval of 2014 Minutes
Moved By:
Gerry Clark
Seconded By: Don Medalia
Approved

President’s Report
Marjorie Shaver-Jones

Your community association has had a very good year. I’d like to thank some of the people who made that happen. First, let me introduce your Board of Directors. Filling the Executive Director positions with me are:
– Steve Wilson, VP and Secretary
– Brad White, Treasurer (unable to attend this evening), and
– Bert Rupert, Past President

The other Directors are:
– Mike Sims, Membership Director
– Dave Hunter, Web-site Director
– Rob Edwards, Director- at- large
– Jennifer Bougie, Director-at-large
– Steve Livingstone, Director-at-large (Steve will not be returning to the Board, having just been promoted which involves added travel commitments).

I’d also like to thank Annie Hall, who had taken the minutes of our AGMs for a number of years now, which has freed up Steve Wilson, our Secretary, to focus on the content of the AGMs. We’re most grateful for that. Thank you, Annie.

During the year, we undertook a Membership Drive, our priority being to collect the e-mail addresses of as many community members as possible. We want to be able to communicate more effectively with all Copeland Park residents. We still lack many addresses. You can help our Membership Director, Mike Sims, with this by encouraging your neighbours to go to our web-site and subscribe.

We hope you’ve noticed the improvements that have been made to our web-site. It’s not perfect, but we’re getting there. Dave Hunter, our Web-site Director, will tell you more about it later.

Canada Post presented a sustained concern throughout the year. The installation of Community Mail Boxes in the urban area is a great frustration. The governing councils of more than 200 communities across Canada have passed resolutions condemning this action by CP. Unfortunately, our City Council has not done so, and the installation of CMBs continues. Your CA has met with CP to express concern about a number of the sites they selected, and we have written to CP expressing our concerns. We have tried to support individual community members in doing the same – all to no avail. The boxes will be installed, despite our objections. I’m sure we’ve all been tempted to copy Mayor Denis Coderre’s attention-getting jack-hammer stunt.

We held a Community Yard Sale / Auction / BBQ in early June. It didn’t work out quite as we’d expected… The BBQ was a great success thanks to our Councillor, who sponsored and whose staff ran it. Rob Edwards will be speaking later about the yard sale and auction.

We maintain our membership in the Federation of Citizens’ Associations. The FCA gives us access to many other CAs in Ottawa. We made use of these contacts throughout the year.

We’re currently working with several neighbouring CAs, trying to organize an All-Candidates Meeting for the federal Ottawa West/ Nepean riding. We don’t have much time left, and finding a venue for this is our current problem. Keep checking the web-site for news on this.

Traffic remains a priority concern, particularly trucks, speeding, and the volume of traffic along Maitland/Clyde; and speeding and cut-through traffic along Erindale. The Councillor’s Office staff helped us get the “Slow down” signs that we placed along Maitland and Erindale. We know the signs caught resident’s attention, for it was no time before some signs were moved to other streets, where residents believe a speeding problem exists. Our guest speakers, this evening, will go into more detail on this.

Throughout the year, we were able to provide assistance to a number of residents regarding various issues affecting them and their property. We dealt with an old development issue concerning the apartment building on Castle Hill, and helped other residents find what they needed at City Hall.

We’ve worked with the Councillor’s office to get funding to re-surface the tennis courts in Greenlawn Park and hopefully we’ll get assistance from the city for a rink in the same park. Steve Wilson will be asking for your thoughts on the use of our parks later this evening.

We have a busy agenda this evening and so I’m going to leave it at that, and move to the next agenda item, which is our Treasurer’s report. As I mentioned, Brad White could not be here this evening; so, I’ve asked Jennifer Bougie to present his report for the past year.

report

CPCA Website, Dave Hunter
Many changes over the last year, and we encourage you to register to receive the newsletter through the website. There are currently 256 subscribers, and we are seeing a high volume of people looking at the newsletter, police reports, local news and events, issues such as Canada Post changes, events such as the barbecue, garage sale, etc. We find that visits increase after the newsletter is distributed, so we will continue with the newsletter as an awareness tool. A high percentage of people looking at the site are under the age of 35. The site is accessible through mobile devices as well as laptops and desktop computers.

Safer Roads (Maitland/Clyde/Erindale)
Guests: Rob Wilkinson & Kale Brown
Rob introduced himself and emphasized that he is involved with communities, he is not an engineer. He thinks it is essential that he, and those working in this City approved program, understand the needs and concerns of the people in the community. In order to accomplish this, they have partnered with groups within the community who are concerned with pedestrian safety, cycling safety as well as driving safety. They do workshops for various groups such as seniors. He spoke about how difficult it is to stop the overwhelming number of people who are “distracted drivers and pedestrians”. People from the age of 16 to 70 have been convicted of distracted driving. What is required is a major culture change, so they are constantly coming up with new approaches – blitzes, posters, etc. People are incredibly involved in this program, and call to report infractions. There are a number of signs that are being posted across the city, and many residents want signs for their own properties. He showed the lights that they hand out for people to attach to a dog leash, a bicycle or an arm so that drivers can better see you. He outlined more programs like a blitz to catch people who pass school buses with flashing lights.

Audience Questions & Answers:

What is being done to enforce rules on walking pathways?
Unfortunately, the Highway Traffic Act does not apply to pathways.

Are there statistics available about how many charges are laid based on a citizen making a report of an infraction of distracted driving?
Rob does not have this data, but offered to look into the matter and will speak to Marjorie about it.

How do we get drivers to slow down in our neighbourhood?
Rob said that there will be Councillor-driven initiatives – he spoke about collapsible cones that do work and will not cause damage to cars.

Sometimes use of a cell phone is helpful to call in an emergency situation. Hopefully common sense will prevail if someone is worrying about charges.

How do we get a blitz set up in our neighbourhood?
Talk to community police and give details about what you want, problems you want to target (speeding, distracted driving, etc.) Call police when you see anything happening that make our roads unsafe.

Safer Roads Repair Stations for bicycles will be available next summer, and the first one will be at City Hall and Fire Stations. The tools will be attached to the kits, so that it will be very difficult for anyone to steal them. Concern was raised about someone using one of the tools as a weapon.

Community Garage Sale, Auction & BBQ
Rob Edwards
Rob spoke about the idea behind the auction, and said that we raised $75 for the community association and some for the hospital (Queensway-Carleton ACE Unit). He asked if people prefer a silent auction so that people wouldn’t have to be present at the auction. We can consider going back to the garage sale only, or combine with the BBQ, etc. We are looking for feedback on the event, as well as volunteers. One resident said she liked the idea of a silent auction, in conjunction with a BBQ. Did everyone know about the event? People said yes. It was suggested that someone volunteer to pick up items for the auction if the person donating could not deliver it or attend the event. Kathy Yach mentioned that in previous years, people in the community who had their own garage sales would be asked to contribute 10%. It was suggested that the event should start earlier that 10 a.m., especially the garage sale. How about having separate events? Perhaps a pancake breakfast?

Election of CPCA Board of Directors for 2015/2016
By consensus, the following nominees were acclaimed as Board members for the upcoming year:

  • Steve Wilson
  • Brad White
  • Mike Sims
  • Dave Hunter
  • Jennifer Bougie
  • Bert Rupert
  • Rob Edwards
  • Catherine Fortune
  • Dave Madden
  • Jamie Mason
  • Marjorie Shaver-Jones

Marjorie said that, in addition to the new Board Members, volunteers with expertise in property development, communications and law would be most welcome.

College Ward Update
Councillor Rick Chiarelli
Bert Rupert introduced Rick and talked about how Rick launched the ACE Unit at the QCH, and he has also been supportive of the hospital throughout the years. Bert spoke about the mandate of this very specialized unit, and mentioned that contributions from residents would help. Bert presented a cheque to Rick representing money raised at the auction, garage sale and BBQ, for the ACE Unit.

Rick announced an Enchantment-Under-the-Sea Dance at Algonquin College to be held on Oct. 21, as a fund raiser for the ACE Unit. A portion of money must be raised in the community for capital projects, which the ACE Unit is. This will be only one of two ACE Units in the province that deal with multiple health issues among the elderly.

Tennis courts in Greenlawn Park – surface will be re-done, new posts for the nets, tentatively scheduled for the spring 2016.

Ice Rink in Greenlawn Park – block grant program may be used to pay students to flood the rink and clean it. Community must prove that there is a viable rink – build with no boards, flood 3 times a week, have a place to store the hoses, city will check and report on it and if we do well, we might get a grant for next year. Pat mentioned that in previous times, a trailer was installed by the city. Rick said that isn’t done anymore, but if we got the grant, we could rent a trailer. Marjorie said we already have 17 volunteers, so that is a good start. Rick said that the city will pay for insurance. With no boards, hockey will not be allowed. No signs would be provided. Marjorie says that someone in the community might make a sign. There is a lot of competition for rink grants, but Rick felt that we were well underway to succeed.

Merivale Road – meeting about the future of Merivale Road will happen in early October. BIA is difficult because there are several different councillors involved. However, 30% of businesses and 30% of business property owners must object to have this fail.

Merivale Mall re-opened with Marshalls and a really nice new look. Rick mentioned that the over 10 million dollars put into the expansion was well-spent.

City is running a deficit of $52 million. Transit and snow removal were large expenditures that contributed to the deficit. Transit issues include forty thousand people laid off in the region, so they are no longer taking buses. Presto cards are transferable.

Rick encouraged people to give ideas to the City on how to save money. These ideas would help with how the City budget for the upcoming year is finally drawn up.

He mentioned that the homeless situation in Ottawa is huge, despite what the City claims. He spoke about taxes, and the fact that the deficit is real. He encouraged us to go to the Sportsplex on Sept 19 from 9-10 a.m. to voice ideas to the City to influence the budget.

Options for the Merivale Triangle were mentioned. Some asked about the untidiness of the un-developed area near Clyde where the Wal-Mart is. Rick’s office will look into it.

City has committed to planting 1 million trees, for 2017 and encourages residents to ask for trees by calling Rick’s office. Trees should be planted before the end of October to maximize their survival.

Question about property tax assessments that went up higher than the average of 1.7%. Rick says some were higher but an equal number decreased, so the city doesn’t actually benefit. The better a community gets, the higher the assessments.

Kathy Yach spoke of the Council on Aging and its fundraising efforts. Tim Horton’s has selected two local organizations to split the profits from “Smile Cookie” sales from September 14-20. The Council on Aging and the Snowsuit Fund will benefit this year.

Other Issues/Business
Other uses for Ainsley Park, Greenlawn Park and Copeland Park.
Steve Wilson asked for any ideas community members may have that we can present to the City and request funding? Splash pad, skating rink (need volunteers to take care of the rink). Pat Mulvihill congratulated the people who use Greenlawn Park, such as day care providers, who use the park on a daily basis. These people make sure that the park is left clean. It’s great that it is an “open park” so that kids can just “free play”. She complained about dog walkers who deposit dog poop in the garbage container, where it can sit for up to a week before being collected.
Another resident spoke about how the rink used to be used, and is happy to report that kids will use the rink if it is built. Many people will benefit.
Another resident mentioned that a field house would be great!

Adjournment: 9:05 PM

Read More

Ottawa West—Nepean Federal Candidates’ Forum

Oct 6, 2015

Thursday, October 8, 2015
Discussion 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Attendees should be seated by 6:50 p.m.
The Chambers at Ben Franklin Place
101 Centrepointe Drive

Download the PDF document

Come out to hear discussion led by guest moderator and federal candidates:
Abdul Abdi – Conservative
Anita Vandenbeld – Liberal
Mark Brooks – Green
Marlene Rivier – NDP

Organized by :
Bel-Air Community Association

in partnership with:
Belltown Neighbours Association
Britannia Village Community Association
Carlingwood Community Association
City View Community Association
Copeland Park Community Alliance
Fisher Heights & Area Association
General Burn Community Association
Queensway Terrace North Community Association
Whitehaven Community Association

Questions? Contact Us.
Email: belaircommunityassociation@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/belaircommunityassociation
Twitter: @BelAirCommAssoc

Read More

Meeting Minutes July 23, 2015

Sep 9, 2015

Executive Meeting

Location: 1055 Cameo Drive
Date: Thursday, July 23, 2015
Time: 7:15PM

Minutes

In Attendance: Marjorie Shaver-Jones, Rob Edwards, Mike Sims, Bert Rupert, Steve Wilson
Absent: Dave Hunter, Steve Livingstone, Brad White, Jennifer Bougie, Jeff Mclean

– Call to order at approximately 7:15PM

– Community Auction/Yard sale/BBQ:
Financials – Sorted through Bert’s sales records (receipts),
cash in hand and float status. Net effect yielded $115.00 for The Queensway Carleton charity and
approximately $75.00 for the CPCA (less costs).

What worked, what didn’t?
– Need more than one person on receipt duty in future if auction process is used.
– Confusion about event location due to park site having same name as community itself (Copeland
park). May need different location or better way of differentiating between park & community.
– Turn-out judged as disappointing. Fewer than 10 actual Yard Sale participants. No count on
spectators but also seen as a bit lite. Low turn-out possibly due to so many personal yard sales going
on in our neighborhood. Auction participation also low but this may have been a product of poor
scheduling on our part. People started drifting away after lunch which was when the auction was to
start. Also suggested that maybe a silent auction would be a better choice rather than the traditional
auction approach.
First year effort could be seen as a learning experience for community members that dropped by and
saw what the event was all about.

– Community Mail Boxes (CMB): Due to Canada Post’s unwillingness to respond to any of our suggestions (or any other communities for that matter), we have decided to give up trying to communicate or achieve anything with them.

– Traffic Update: We received ‘Slow Down’ signs from the City and will be posting them along Maitland Avenue and Erindale. One sign at each end of the selected streets. Bert has taken on this task.
The signs were supplied by Mr. Kale Brown, project officer for ‘Safer Roads’ project.
Mr. Brown will be contacted by Marjorie to see if he is available to speak at our AGM.

– Company of Fools: Theater group will be performing ‘Comedy of Errors’ in Greenlawn Park July 29th
at 7:00PM.
Steve to install Copeland Park Community Alliance sign in park prior to performance.

– Planning for 2015 AGM:
Venue – Efforts to locate event at Trinity United Church has been unsuccessful. Complications with insurance and the church’s failure to respond to our communications caused efforts to be suspended. Board decided to go back to St. Basils. Date is Wednesday, September 16, 2015.
Proposed Agenda – Approval of minutes, President’s report, Financial report, membership renewal drive, etc.. Dave Hunter to be asked to speak on the features of the CPCA web site. Constable Sue Wright to be invited to speak on scamming of seniors, Kale Brown, City of Ottawa Safe Roads Project officer, will be asked to speak.
Promotion – banners to be located as they were last year (Navaho at Erindale & Glenmount at Castlehill). Timing about 2 weeks prior to AGM.
Flyer preparation to be done by Marjorie. Steve to organize distribution on or about September 8 or 9.
Volunteers – Leslie, Pat & Dorothy to be invited back as will Annie Hall to record the minutes.
New Blood – New candidates needed. Possibilities to be approached by Mike, Bert and Steve.
2014 Minutes – some minor corrections required and to be passed on to Dave for insertion in web site.

New Business:
Communications – Rob to speak with Dave regarding Mike being trained to assist with web site administration/maintenance.

Possibility of hiring someone to maintain site also discussed.

Other – Denise Valcour donated $20.00 to CPCA. Board decided to use $10.00 to pay for Denise’s 2015/2016 CPCA membership.

Announcement of City Builder award for Gwen Salaün (local resident) to be added to web site.

FCA membership approved for the current/upcoming year.

Adjournment: approximately 9:15 PM

Revised 11/08/2015

Read More

Meeting Minutes May 4, 2015

Sep 8, 2015

Copeland Park Community Alliance
Executive Meeting

Location: 1055 Cameo Drive
Date: Monday, May 4, 2015
Time: 7:15PM

Minutes

In Attendance: Rob Edwards, Mike Sims, Bert Rupert, Steve Wilson
Regrets: Marjorie Shaver-Jones
Absent: Dave Hunter, Steve Livingstone, Brad White, Jennifer Bougie, Jeff Mclean

Call to order at approximately 7:15PM

Marjorie suggested that this particular board meeting be focused on the Community mail Box issue and the upcoming Community Auction & yard Sale.
All other previously listed agenda items have been, for the most part, postponed.

Community Mail Boxes (CMB): Brief discussion on CPCA survey results.
Mike and I to attend meeting with Canada Post hosted by Councillor Chiarelli at Centre Point office Tuesday, May 5 at 2:45PM. We are tasked with sharing our CMB concerns with respect to location, safety and maintenance. Also to discuss possibility of negotiating alternate locations.

Community Auction/Yard sale/BBQ: Rob is investigating acquiring an auctioneer – a few options under consideration. How is auctioneer to be paid – fixed fee vs percentage(?). Feedback for participation via distributed flyers, e-mail and web site. Rob mentioned contacting Ed Hand at W1310.
Auction vs yard sale items – more valuable items to be auctioned.
$ breakdown – CPCA/Charity/Owner?
Questions for Councillor Chiarelli – Event Title? Rain date?
Event timing – registration – auction – lunch ?
Location – Greenlawn vs Copeland Park?
Tables – borrow, rent?
What to do with post auction and/or yard sale residue? Items left behind could be donated to a suitable charity like diabetes, kidney foundation etc. Such charities collect via the Clothes Line Pick up service.

Traffic Update: Bert proposed doing a survey of Maitland Avenue residents regarding traffic issues (trucks, speeding etc.). This could be done by door to door action (flyer) and/or posting on web site. Bert to initiate.

Adjourned at approximately 9:15 PM

Read More

Meeting Minutes February 12, 2015

Sep 8, 2015

Copeland Park Community Alliance Executive Meeting

Date: Thursday, February 12, 2015
Location: 1055 Cameo Drive
Time : 7:15PM

Minutes

In Attendance: Marjorie Shaver-Jones, Bert Rupert, Mike Sims, Steve Wilson
Regrets: Rob Edwards, Dave Hunter, Brad White
Absent: Steve Livingstone, Jeff McLean, Jennifer Bougie

November Minutes: Mike moved to adapt November minutes, Bert seconded. Approved.
Mail Boxes (community): General discussions on CTV Vancouver news piece regarding security issues being experienced locally.
– Marjorie contacted Canada Post to get an update on their mailing/communication strategy.
It appears to be a 6 step effort:
1) Grouping options (boxes/module, module size, neighborhood distribution).
2) Security issues.
3) Inform of module locations (no consultation referenced).
4) Installation process.
5) Details of box system, module identification, quantity, etc.
6) Final letter sent summarizing situation.

Further discussions regarding content of our own CPCA survey and introduction letter. Mike to prepare letter and Marjorie to tune survey. Once completed all will be passed on to Dave Hunter for incorporation into web site.

Survey and letter to be distributed door to door as well, Steve W’ to organize this task.

Merivale Road Focus Group: Marjorie received an e-mail from Nancy Cairns (Rick Chiarelli’s office) regarding an invitation to participate in an Index Study Focus Group discussion. Marjorie responded with a ‘yes’ but yet to hear back.

Traffic on Maitland: Review of comments from November CPCA Exec. meeting leading. Questions arose as to what might be the best strategy: posting signs along Maitland, hiring students to monitor and record violators. Question also came up as to whether speeders are more of a threat than trucks.
Marjorie suggested that MetroMedia might interested in an article on the subject.
Bert to review and formulate a strategy for truck issue.

Infill 2: Marjorie provided an overview on Infill 2 (vs Infill 1). It addressed such subjects as building size, building height, back set etc. FCA had discussions on roof configurations, flat vs peaked (sloped), regarding height and visual effect. FCA provided position paper on subject. Marjorie proposed writing a letter supporting FCA position and received approval from the board

CPCA Financial Update: Brad provided an up to date bank statement showing a balance of $7,225.76 .
This includes a recent $300.00 deposit for CPCA membership. Marjorie is yet to submit her bills from late last year for various printing purchases and our banner purchase.

2015 AGM: Marjorie was successful in moving the AGM to Trinity United Church – a venue within the CPCA boundaries. Thursday, September 10 has been reserved. Some further `discussion` is needed regarding applicable fees. Our contact at Trinity is Jenn Kass – reported as being particularly helpful

– Next meeting date TBD

– Meeting adjourned at 9:00PM

Read More

CPCA Membership Benefits

Sep 4, 2015

Your household may become paid-up members of the CPCA by paying the modest annual fee of $10 per household.
This helps support our activities and entitles a household representative to vote at the CPCA Annual General Meeting. You may pay the fee on-line using the “Pay Now” button; or pay by cash or cheque at the AGM, or deliver the payment to 1060, Cameo Drive.

The CPCA would appreciate you registering your email and street address on our website so that we may more easily communicate with you about events and activities in our neighbourhood. Thank you!





Read More

Ready to find out more? Get started today!

Terrae recepta fratrum passim fabricator videre nam deducite.